The Kinky Curly Theological Collective just turned one, y’all! Woohoo. For those who have been with us over the last year – either as participants, supporters, prayer partners, cheerleaders, well-wishers, or witnesses, we would like to extend a heartfelt THANK YOU!
And as any one year old is, we are busy. And we are moving. Here are a few things that we have planned for the coming future and a few ways that you can help – including with financial donations:
Reading and Studying Together
We are reading two books as a collective throughout the next year: Barracoon by Zora Neale Hurston and My Soul is a Witness by Gloria Wade Gayles. Both of these books echo themes that have emerged from the writing that we have done so far. We will be posting reflections and discussion questions on our Facebook page starting January 2, 2019 so be sure to join it if you have not already to stay in the know.
Hosting Writing Workshops
Throughout 2018, our most successful venture was the hosting of writing workshops which gave us the opportunity to connect with each other, reflect on our spiritual practice, and write. We are going to continue with the implementation of these, pairing each session with an embodied practice including dance, yoga, art, and meditation. Here is how you can help with these sessions:
- Mark Help us spread the word: Our first three dates are Saturday, January 26; Saturday, February 23; and Saturday, March 23 from 11am – 3pm. The location for these will be determined as the date approaches.
- Help us teach one of the sessions: Do you have skills around dance, yoga, art, meditation, or another embodied practice? Are you open to sharing your gifts with other amazing women of African descent? Email email@example.com to let us know so we can incorporate your practice into our sessions.
In 2018, we received nearly a dozen essays and poetry, which were showcased at our performance at the Heart of the Beast Theatre on Sunday, September 30. This was such a rewarding process that we want to continue to compile these narratives for publishing in 2019. We will open the submission process at the start of the New Year and hold it open until April 30. If you want to make sure that you get word about the process once it opens, please join our page on Facebook.
Formalizing Our Structure
Now in our second year, the Kinky Curly Theological Collective is taking our work to the next level. But we need your help in order to do it. Here are a few ways that you can help out with this today:
- Join our leadership team: If you are a woman of African ascent living in Minnesota, we want to hear from you! We need people like you to help us with recruitment, organizational development, and more. If you are interested, please fill out this brief form.
- Changing our name: We could use your amazing ideas to help us come up with a name more suitable for this group and where we are headed in the future. Help us do so by compiling your thoughts here.
- Sustainability: Moving into this year, we will be doing a lot of work that costs including formalizing our business structure, publishing our narratives, hosting workshops, and providing honorariums to those who offer their gifts and time to the collective. In 2018, we were able to pay all of the speakers and facilitators who participated in the collective and we were also able to provide small honorariums to those who responded to our call for submissions. In order to continue this work, we are asking for donations from our friends and supporters of the work.
- Spread the word: Please share what we are doing throughout your networks! We need our supporters and friends to spread the news about our work and mission so that we can reach our goals.